If you plan to use iProtectYou on several computers in your local network, then we recommend you to install the network version of iProtectYou. This will allow you to perform remote supervision over all installed copies of iProtectYou from a single Administrator's PC.
To install the network version of iProtectYou follow these steps:
- Download latest version of iProtectYou from our web site: www.softforyou.com/ip-download.php.
- Determine which computer you plan to use as the iProtectYou Server computer. Please note this computer can be a dedicated computer or can be one of your users’ computers. In the first case you can install iProtectYou Server Without Filtering, which will be Free for you. In the second case the Server computer also can be subject to filtering, and you should install iProtectYou Server With Filtering. The price for iProtectYou Single PC version, iProtectYou Client or iProtectYou Server With Filtering is the same and depends only on the number of purchased licenses. Please visit the www.softforyou.com/ip-pricing.html to get information about how to get cumulative discounts if you purchase multiple licenses.
- During installation select to install the Network version. Then on the Server computer select either iProtectYou Server With or Without Filtering depending on your administrative tasks. Open the control panel on the Server computer, click on the settings and set the administrator password. This will protect your settings from being changed by unauthorized persons. Also, this password will be set on all Client computers after synchronization.
- On the user’s computers select to install the iProtectYou Client. You should install the Server version first, and then install the Client version on each user’s computer.
- If you use a Personal Firewall on either Server or Client computers, you should instruct them not to block iProtectYou modules. For example, Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or higher already contains a built-in firewall, and if it is turned on then you should add iProtectYou modules: ipycp.exe, ipynotify.exe, ipysvr.exe located in the System32 directory, into the Exceptions list of this firewall.
- After installing the Client version, you should instruct iProtectYou Client where it can find the iProtectYou Server in order to keep its databases and settings synchronized with the Server. Make sure the Server computer is turned on and iProtectYou Server is installed on it. Also make sure that you have added iProtectYou modules to the exceptions list of firewall on Server and Client computers. Open the control panel on the Client computer by double-clicking on the iProtectYou icon near the clock. The iProtectYou Client should automatically find iProtectYou Server and you should see the server's IP address in the control panel. If the IP address field is empty, please add it manually. This can be either the Server computer's IP address or Server computer's name in your local network.
- Check if synchronization works: Push the 'Synchronize' button on the control panel on a Client computer. The Client computer should start synchronizing its databases with the Server Computer. If synchronization fails, please check the reason for failure in iProtectYou logs. To do this, push the 'Logs' in the control panel, select the 'Online Activity' page and then choose the 'Synchronization' item in the 'Filter' combo box. Also, check for possible errors in the Client PC and in the c:/ipy-err.log or .../Program Files/SoftForYou/iProtectYou/ipy-err.log file.
To make sure that the Server computer is reachable and iProtectYou Server is installed properly you can send direct commands to it from your Web Browser. Start your browser and type in the address string, http://XXXX:5128/?name=syncinfo. Where the “XXXX” is the either the Server computer's IP address or the Server computer's name in your network. If iProtectYou Server works properly, you should be prompted to save the file on local disk.
- If the synchronization procedure proceeds normally, and if you have set up the administrator password on the Server computer as we recommended above, your Client computer Control Panel should be protected by this password for now. Close and open the Control Panel again to make sure that it is password protected and your settings cannot be changed by unauthorized persons.
- Now enter all necessary settings on the Server and transfer them to all Clients by pushing the 'Synchronize' button. You can set up automatic synchronization with a given periodicity from the control panel of the Client version. The more computers in your network, the less frequently you should set the synchronization to avoid overloading your local network.
- To facilitate the administration, iProtectYou allows you to unite users into groups and customize settings for a whole group. There is no need to customize every user's settings. Create groups for all Client PCs on the 'Users and Groups' screen. For example, for group 'Computer_1' you should enter all Windows login names of this PC that have the same settings. If some Client PC has a number of users that have different settings for the program, then you should organize groups of users so that all users of every group would have the same settings. Even more, if some users on different computers have the same settings, they should be united in one group. First organize groups, then enter settings for each of them.
- Enter settings for each group of users for each particular Client PC. For example, enter a schedule in the 'Internet Timetable' screen, then push the 'Synchronize' button to send the settings to the Clients.